2008/06/25

What is Yahoo Search Monkey ?

I really feel that Yahoo didn’t do much marketing on the new services they started recently. The developer platform for this service is called Yahoo Search Monkey.
And the main reasons Yahoo came up with this service are

1. To improve their Search services
2. To have yahoo users to login account to yahoo all time when they look for any yahoo services. I think people started doing that for Google… anyways I do it all time :) .
3. To have the search results have different look and bring some change in the usual search results.

So let me explain how it works .Yahoo has called all the general developer community to use their Search monkey API’s to develop applications that can be added to Yahoo search gallery. Right now they have added some 48 applications. To make it more clear let me take an example , somebody has made an application with LinkedIn , the pretty famous professional social networking website. So here check my search list when I search for ‘Naroor’.

Search Engine Optimization tips from Ratish Naroor

To try it in you PC follow the following instructions as follows.

1. Go to yahoo.com .Sign in to your account there and return back to you main yahoo homepage with login session.
2. Search for a name, say ‘Naroor’. In the search page you can see the linkedIn listing but not the picture. Now you can see a Customize combo near the search button on the top. Click the dropdown and select browse gallery. The gallery lists various search monkey application that developers had developed and Yahoo added them to the list. Now select LinkedIN from that list and add it .
3. Now when you search for the name you can see my picture with the link .(I think it takes some time for the application to be added to your account but I have no idea how much time ,max by one day.)

So to summarize, Yahoo search monkey can be said as a place to redesign the yahoo search result and make it more attractive that you are sure it will make the surfer to click the link. Check out some other Search monkey applications like Movies, recipes , restaurant reviews.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home